Most home owners go to great lengths to secure their homes, building walls, installing CCTV cameras, investing in expensive locks, and so on so forth. However, they forget to secure their windows! 90% of the times a burglar breaks into your home, he or she uses the main door, or the window! As such, thinking about how secure your window is goes a long way in tying any loose ends the intruder may take advantage of. There are a few things you can do in order to ensure that your window plays its role of not just letting in fresh air and light, but also ensures your safety when asleep or away. Let’s start from outside, before coming inside the house;
- Tip number one is to always ensure that any bushes or hedges around your bedroom are trimmed. Keeping such short will ensure that no intruder can hide there or take advantage to sneak in to your home. Besides, most burglars will jump over perimeter walls and head straight to any overgrown hedge or bush around your compound for cover.
- Secondly, keep away any bulky items near your window that an intruder can use to pile up and step on, so as to access the window latch. Stones, broken furniture and other junk; keep that far from your windows.
- Reinforced glass; there are various options for anyone looking for reinforced windows. This includes using laminated glass that’s slightly different from the normal glass. Reinforced glass means that for an intruder to break it, he’d have to keep hitting the same spot over and over; which will create much noise. No burglar wants that.
- Window bars; using bars on your windows also acts to reinforce them. Even when a burglar has managed to break the glass, the metal grills or bars act as a stopper.
- Close windows when away; some home owners assume that simply because they have locked the gate and there’s a secure perimeter wall, that’s enough. However, go ahead and lock the windows when going out to work or wherever. It’s better to be safe than sorry. Besides, an open window may attract a burglar who would never consider breaking into your home.
- Locksmith check; lastly, it makes sense to have locksmiths come over and check all your window locks and latches to ensure that they’re fully functional. Where you need to replace or repair a faulty lock, they’ll advice you.
Read the below piece contnetg by ITCC Locksmiths in London.
Sponsored Ad > House Clearance By Quick Wasters